This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
Misfolded proteins can get into cells and form large aggregates by recruiting normal proteins. These aggregates are associated with neurodegenerative diseases. It has been implicated that the misfolded forms of α-synuclein, β-amyloid, prion, tau, polyglutamine and huntingtin linked to several incurable neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Prion, Taupathies, Polyglutamine and Huntington's respectively. The mechanisms underlying diseases progression by the misfolded forms of these proteins have prion like transmission, can spread from one cell to another and can promote overlapping aggregation with each other. Since until now there is no in vivo evidence available for intraneuronal clearance mechanism of these pathologic proteins, we are taking advantages of Drosophila genetics and in vitro enzymatic assays to identify and elucidate the functional mechanism of endogenous neuroprotective molecules that have evolutionary conserved function to detoxify misfolded form of α-synuclein, β-amyloid, prion and huntingtin. The advent of undertaken innovative research will be useful for modulating a novel therapeutic drug against Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Prion Taupathies, Polyglutamine and Huntington's diseases by targeting identifiable neuroprotective molecules.
1. Md. Mizanur Rahman, Abul Kalam Azad, Shamima Nasrin Sima, Md. Mashiar Rahman. Role of RNase on Microbial Community Analysis in the Rice and Wheat Plants Soil by 16S rDNA-DGGE. Journal of Crop Science and Biotechnology 2014; 17 (3): 85-95.
2. Shahina Akhter, Md. Mashiar Rahman, Hyun Seo Lee, Hyeon-Jin Kim and Seong-Tshool Hong. Dynamic roles of mouse angiopoietin-like proteins 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 in the survival and enhancement of ex vivo expansion of murine bone-marrow hematopoietic stem cells. Protein & Cell 2013; 4(3): 220-230.
3. Yuri Choi, R. Nirmala, Jun Yeoub Lee, Mashiar Rahman, Seong-Tshool Hong and Hak Yong Kim. Antibacterial ciprofloxacin HCl incorporated polyurethane composite nanofibers via electrospinning for biomedical applications. Ceramics International 2013; 39:4937-4944.
4. Roshan D’Souza, Dipendra Raj Pandeya, Mashiar Rahman, Hyun Seo Lee, Seong-Tshool Hong. Genetic Engineering of Lactococcus Lactis to Produce an Amylase Inhibitor for Development of Anti-Diabetes Biodrug. New Microbiologica 35 (1): 35-42. 2012.
5. Md. Mashiar Rahman, Shahina Akhter, Dipendra Raj Pandeya, Roshan D’Souza, Seong-Tshool Hong. Large-Scale Production of Highly Active Recombinant Omi from Escherichia coli Expressed Soluble Protein Aggregates. Biomedical Research 23 (2): 183-190. 2012.
6. Dipendra Raj Pandeya, Roshan D’Souza, Md. Mashiar Rahman, Shahina Akhter, Hyeon-Jin Kim, Seong-Tshool Hong. Host-Microbial Interaction in the Mammalian Intestine and Their Metabolic Role Inside. Biomedical Research 23(1): 9-21. 2012.
7. MM Rahman, MM Rahman, S Akhter, M AHM Jamal, DR Pandeya, MA Haque, MF Alam, A Rahman. Control of coliform bacteria detected from diarrhea associated patients by extracts of Moringa oleifera. Nepal Medical College Journal 12(1): 12-19. 2010.
8. Mominul Islam Sheikh, Soriful Islam, Atikur Rahman, Mostafizur Rahman, Mashiur Rahman, Mizanur Rahman, Abdur Rahim, Firoz Alam. Control of Some Human Pathogenic Bacteria by Seed Extracts of Cumin (Cuminum cyminum L.). Agriculturae Conspectus Scientificu 75(1): 39-44. 2010.
9. M Mashiar Rahman, Md Jahangir Alam , Shamima Akhtar Sharmin , M Mizanur Rahman, Atiqur Rahman and M. F. Alam. In Vitro Antibacterial Activity of Argemone mexicana (Papaveraceae). Chiang Mai University Journal of Natural Sciences 8 (1): 77-84. 2009.
10. M. Mashiar Rahman, Md. Mominul Islam Sheik, S.A. Sharmin, M. Soriful Islam, M.Atikur Rahman, M. Mizanur Rahman and M. F. Alam. Antibacterial Activity of Leaves Juice and Extracts of Moringa oleifera Lam. (2n = 28) against Some Human Pathogenic Bacteria. Chiang Mai University Journal of Natural Sciences 8 (2): 219-227. 2009.
11. M. Mizanur Rahman, M. Mashiar Rahman, Md. Rezuanul Islam, Atiqur Rahman and M. Safiur Rahman. Characterization of Clinical Bacteria and Their Control by a Medicinal Plant (Cassia Sophera L.) Extracts. Journal of Characterization and Development of Novel Materials 1 (3): 159-168. 2009.
12. Atiqur Rahman, M. Mizanur Rahman, Md. Mominul Islam Sheik, M. Mashiar Rahman, Shabah Mohammad Shadli and M. F. Alam. Free Radical Scavenging Activity and Phenolic Content of Cassia sophera L. African Journal of Biotechnology 7 (10): 1591-1593. 2008.
13. H. K. Zaved, M. Mizanur Rahman, M. Mashiar Rahman, Atiqur Rahman, S.M.Y.Arafat1 and M. Safiur Rahman. Isolation and Characterization of Effective Bacteria for Solid Waste Degradation for Organic Manure. KMITL Science and Technology Journal 8 (2): 44-55. 2008.
14. M. M. Rahman, M. Mashiar Rahman, S. M. Arafat, Atiqur Rahman, M. Z. H. Khan, and M. S. Rahman. Microbiological Quality Assessment of a Local Milk Product, Kwacha Golla, of Bangladesh. Journal of the Korean Society for Applied Biological Chemistry 51(4): 251-257. 2008.
15. S. A. Sharmin, M. M. Rahman, I. Alam, M.J. Alam, M.M. Rahman, M. Khalekuzzaman. Abundance of bacteria in municipal supply water of Kushtia Town, Bangladesh: A case study. Bangladesh Journal of Genetics and Biotechnology 7(1&2): 105-106. 2006.
16. M. Mizanur Rahman, M. Nazma Khatun, M. Mashiar Rahman, Atiqur Rahman, M. M. Alam, M. Mominul Islam Sheik, M. Khorshed Alam and Z. Nahar. Upgradation of some agro-wastes by Pleurotus sajor-caju to minimize environmental pollution. Proceedings of SEEP2009, 12-15 August 2009, p264-269, Dublin, Ireland.
17. M.M. Rahman, S. Akhter, M.S. Islam H.J. Kim and S.T. Hong. Omi-mediated detoxification of α-synuclein-induced neurotoxicity in a Drosophila model of Parkinson’s disease. Movement Disorders 28 (Supp 1): S414. 2013.
18. S. Akhter, M.M. Rahman, M.S. Islam, M.A. Razzak, H.J. Kim and S.T. Hong. Mammalian HtrA2 functions to protect α-synuclein-induced prion protein deposition in mice. Movement Disorders 28 (Supp 1): S415. 2013.
19. M. M. Rahman, M.L. Liu, S. Akhter, H.J Kim and S.T. Hong. The evolutionarily conserved function of HtrA2 in mice prevents neurodegeneration by oligomeric α-synuclein. Movement Disorders 27 (Suppl 1): S64. 2012.
20. M. Mashiar Rahman and Seong-Tshool Hong. “Omi/HtrA2 Directly Targets Oligomeric α-Synuclein for Selective Degradation”. Korean Society of Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Conference. October, 2008. Book of Abstract p275.